Tuesday, February 10, 2009

fun stuff...

Mondays are about to get way more interesting....
Yesterday, Tadhg started the first of his "official" guitar lessons. Tadhg found a guy in our ward who is really good and has played with some big people and offers lessons.
Tadhg asked for a guitar for his 6th birthday, I think, and he takes it out now and then and messes around for a while. About 2 years ago, he took an elective at school for GATE and learned some basics. He and Pop-pop talk guitars and when Yasha was here this last summer they worked on it a bit too.
But this....THIS is real. Tadhg really impressed me by taking the initiative. He approached Matt and asked for lessons, then did the e-mails back and forth of when and where and how much. Impressive.
Sunday at dinner with Pop-pop and Gramma he told Pop-pop all about starting his lessons and hit Pop-pop up for the red electric guitar.... Don't know how he managed it, but sure enough... he left with the guitar and all that went with it. (Thanks Pop-pop, you just made his day, week, year....)
It is so funny to watch Tadhg. I can actually see him struggling within himself.... I know he is excited, but he is trying so hard to be cool, play it down. He arranged for a half hour lesson, but I was pretty certain he'd want to go the whole hour....
I walked him up to the studio and then went back to the car to help the other two boys with their homework, while we waited. At a half hour they both come out and I knew he didn't want to quit. They went back in, we finished the homework and I walked across to their house and got some "girl time" visiting with his wife and her sisters. (I don't realize how much I like girl time until I get it. So used to being one of the boys....) When the hour was up they both came in and I was talking with Matt about how it went. I asked Tadhg a few questions trying to see how he liked it and only barely got a head nod... What's up with that!
Tadhg came home and showed us his awesome-ness on his new electric guitar. His homework is Sunshine of my love, One by U2 and Lithium by Nirvana. I can recognize the songs, so that is a good thing... Later he told me he had been waiting all day (ALL DAY!) to go to guitar lessons.... :) Guess I need to get better at interpreting this whole teen-age behavior stuff. Apparently, a barely noticeable head nod means, "Wow, heck yeah! I love this!"

Brock came home from school with a surprise.... He is the cutest little boy! He was all excited and wanted me to guess what it was. He hands me a paper, all folded up. I open it and there are 5 hearts, colored in marker. Not sure what to think at first... did he make it for me? I look at his face and he is blushing and smiling hugely... NO, apparently not.... I said, "It's beautiful." "Guess who gave it to me?" he asks. I had to think for a minute, but I guessed right (always a good thing to try and keep up with their latest crushes..) "Emma" I say. The smile grows. He then proceeds to tell me that she gave it to him at lunch and had to walk over from another table (!!!!) to hand it to him. (and valentine's day is still several days off, ahhh...young love!) :)


Brock's Valentine from Emma

2 comments:

Joanie said...

This must be serious (on both counts!) Is Emma the new crazy-hot? (I thought he was so cute with that one about the other girl... only 7 here!)

Hey, I want photos of Tadhg and his newest acquisition!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Adorable! I love the ins and outs of being a young person...so much tied up with being cool and not dorky. Oh, boys!