Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Still recapping the weekend...

I was only able to get through Saturday skiing last post...I'll try and fill in on the rest of the weekend and through to today if at all possible. (How many interruptions and distractions do you think will occur before I get this posted? Bets, anyone? I'll say at least 5 and a continuation before it is done!)

Sunday, we finally got back to Gramma and Pop-pop's for our usual Sunday dinner. We hadn't been since the beginning of January. It has gotten so bad that I have to text Gramma during church to let her know if it looks like we will actually make it for dinner. Sad! I even got dirty looks 2 weeks ago when during the Scout Committee Meeting (which lasted 2 hours... after our regular 3 hour block!)to say we wouldn't be able to make it. Between new callings and various meetings we missed at least 3 good, nutritious, home cooked meals! One of which was tri-tip! Dang. Sometimes Gramma's Sunday dinner is the only good, nutritious, home cooked meals my boys get! (sad commentary on my cooking skills) Needless to say, they like when Gramma cooks and love to go there each week.
Having missed multiple weeks-in-a-row I (we, I guess it was put to a vote...) decided to bail on the 'Break the fast' after church and go to Sunday dinner. I almost lost it when I learned that there would be a cub scout planning meeting for me and a missionary correlation meeting for Curtis after church (could feel that case of "bad attitude" coming on!) I managed to hold my meeting to 30 minutes and then recruited help to 'bust' Curtis out of his...Thanks Travis! As it was we still didn't get there until well after the Superbowl started....
Sunday dinners are more than just eating good, nutritious food. The boys normally get some one on one time with Gramma and Pop-pop's television, watching the Disney Channel(since we have no tv at our house) Curtis normally gets to watch some sort of sporting event with my dad (also because we have no tv at home *evil grin*) and I get to play card games with Gramma and Great Gran. Everyone wins!
After a rousing game of Phase 10, (and Great Gran always wins...how does she do that??) we took a break and watched a few minutes of the game. Curtis is a life long fan of the Steelers (growing up in Utah? who knows why?) Chris was rooting for the underdogs... the boys were split. Gran, on the other hand, is sitting next to me and leans over conspiratorially and says, "You know... some women watch football just to see the players from behind..." I look at her and my face breaks into a huge smile, "Yeah, checking out their tight ends!" "Don't look at them from the front," she says, "that ruins it. Just look at the back." Can you believe that? What a hoot! (interruption #1) I love my Gran. Almost 86 and as sassy as can be!
Gramma always makes sure there is dessert. Tonight it was pie. She asked around for votes...dutch apple, cherry or raspberry. The boys really don't care, so the girls won out with dutch apple. After a game of Kings Go Wild it was nearly time for dessert. Gramma said that the pie would be done in a few minutes... and then my dad said something about it having to cool for an hour. Chris pipes up from the kitchen, "Like the hour you wait for your brownies to cool?" At this Brock's head pops up, "BROWNIES?" He had been sitting there concentrating on something, not really paying attention to anything or anyone, but at the word brownies....BAM! instant attention. He knows what he likes. (interruption #2 and #3) He was a little disappointed that there weren't really any brownies, so sad.... (interruption #4)

Monday it was back into (major interruption #5 triple chat window in facebook!) the homework grind, after school chaos mode. Brock decided to lighten things up for us, as usual. He came back down the hall to the laundry room wearing my shoes! He was wobbling around and was quite proud of his cute-ness. Tadhg had to find a way to tease him and said, "Brock, you are a girl!" True to form, Brock responds without even batting an eyelash, "Yes, I am a girl." and does a little dance in my shoes! I ran to grab the camera. He kept it up for over half an hour... at one point he asked if he could wear them to school, but I explained he might break his leg and he decided they would be hard to run in! So funny.

Caden had homework that asked him to come up with an (American) Indian name for himself. The kind that becomes legend...Wind in hair, laugh like lightning... We brainstormed for a little while about what he liked to do, what he is good at.... trying to find a cool, unusual 'Indian' name for him. We tossed a few ideas around, but couldn't come up with something really neat. I kept coming back to him and his love of reading. He devours books. That was it.... he became the "book eater". The indians might not approve, but I thought it fit him, to a "T".

I am really loving my kick boxing class. Jennifer is one tough cookie, and I hurt when I am done, but I have found that I smile now, when it gets really tough. Hasn't killed me yet! Coordination is still a very real worry, and I fear for my class mates' safety. But I love pushing myself. Maybe it's the boxing, or the push-ups...they empower me. Weird?! Anyways... I walked to class on Tuesday. It was kind of brisk out so I was walking quick-ish. When I got to the parkway I came upon a nice little old lady walking her poodle. I thought, "Oh, I'll just breeze by her and be on my way..." It takes me a bit longer to come up beside her than I thought and then I realized that she was walking fast! We ended up walking together for about 1/4 mile and I had to work to keep pace! She said she has walked her dog every day for years and sometimes does 5 miles! Did I mention that her mom is going to be 103 soon. So that makes her.... like really old...at least 80. Ouch! Pride wounded... dusted by a granny and her poodle. Few more months of kick- boxing and I bet I could take her...

1 comment:

Sarah E Boucher said...

Oh dear cute cousin! I did not know you had a blog...I nearly died when I read about Gran's comment about footballers. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the front ruins the view! I laughed my sad little hoarse sick laugh until my eyes watered! Awesome!