Monday, March 2, 2009

I am a few days late (and several dollars short!) but here is an update from Monday.
I know that a few weeks ago I wrote about dodging the "karate" bullet. I had thought that getting a do-it-at-home video would do the trick. Apparently not. About 2 weeks ago Caden's friend Mckenzie invited Caden to go with him to Chi Tu Do on guest day. Because Caden is such a sweet boy and a good friend he said yes. The day came and he didn't really want to go, but we talked about it and I told him he had committed to it and Mckenzie really wanted to bring a friend. I think he was a little apprehensive about it but went. At the last second they invited Brock and off they went. An hour and a half later, they were all back home and....OH MY GOSH! they were so stoked. Both of them were begging to go back. Brock had all the paperwork and was literally following me around hounding me to go online "Right Now" to register them and get "the clothes"!
*Whitney, Mackenzie's Dad is so funny because he can do the Brock impersonation, and I was entertained with a dialog they had about "the clothes"!*
We talked it over as a family and I did in fact go online and register and order "the clothes". That next week was the ski week break so we decided that we'd start in March. I'm thinking that Brock is more into this than Caden, but it might also just be that he is so much MORE vocal. I received daily updates on how many more days until March and endless inquiries as to where "the clothes" were and, "when the heck are they going to get here!"
Thank goodness they arrived before the first class (don't know if I would have had the stamina to keep up with him if they had not!) Both boys tried on their new gi the night they arrived in the mail and gave us a demonstration of their skills in the kitchen. So funny.
Caden and Brock got in a spat on the way home from school Monday because Caden accused Brock of bragging about going to Chi tu do to his friends. I had to explain to Caden that Brock wasn't bragging, just excited about his upcoming class.
Unfortunately, I was unable to stay and observe their first lesson. I got all the boys there (mine +2) and then had to run to the school for the board meeting.

pictures by Curtis....

Before you get all excited thinking that I am some responsible, concerned parent who is interested in all the district going ons... I only went to watch Tadhg and his Shake the Floor class perform THRILLER! I didn't get to see the original performance. Tadhg didn't tell me, until after the fact, when it was. At the time I figured it wasn't that big of a deal to him if he didn't want me to go. When I learned that they would perform again I was determined to be there. He is so blase' about most things anymore... and I would have thought that a "dance" class would be considered totally un-cool. But he did have it for 2 quarters as an elective? So I'm guessing that he liked it. I was curious... Then I was impressed. They all did a really good job. The costumes and makeup were terrific and the dance routine was great. He took it all so seriously too. This was clearly something that he had put a lot of time and effort into and he was proud to be there, as he should be... he was amazing. It was interesting for me to watch him... First he looked so grown up, up there on the stage, made-up to look like a zombie, doing his thing. I realized that he is no longer the little kid, who needs to find his mother in the crowd and wave, who is nervous to be in front of a roomful of people, unsure of his lines or afraid to do his part. He was all "cool confidence" and that was....weird....interesting. I watched him dance with girls, he even did a lift! Very manly. I was kind of blown away. When did he get this old, this independent, this self-assured, this... separate... from me?
My friend Tif took some video. I'll try and post it if it turned out.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

OK you big stinkin' trouble-maker... now I am crying! When, indeed, did this *baby* grow up? He will be a fine man... and we will always miss that little boy!
Love you,