Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring surprises...

I walked out the front door today, (something I don't do too frequently, now that I think on it!) for some fresh air and the last little bit of sunshine. Curtis was wanting to put the hammock up, Tadhg was practicing some skateboard tricks, Brock was in charge of watering the plants in pots... I was wandering, aimlessly. Maybe my critical eye is a huge fault. (Ahhh! See you all think so too!) First, I noticed the weeds swept into the flowerbed right next to the front porch. Then I noticed that the pool was looking way less than inviting. I sat at the table out by the pool and thought how this HAD to be the year that I sand and re-stain it. The pots were overgrown with weeds and looking very sorry... then *BOOM* I see it. (Don't get me completely wrong... I have been admiring the daffodils and the blossoms on the trees and reveling in the beautiful spring weather for weeks, so not ALL is gloom and work.)
In one of my scraggly, sorry looking pots I spotted an orange freesia. A few years back I planted lots of bulbs and such, but I'm fairly certain that I kill most everything during the summer months and am much less than certain if anything will come back the next spring. This lone freesia must have some will to survive. I'd like to say I raced right over, but I didn't, it was more the granny shuffle *ha, ha*. But I had to see if it smelled as good as I remembered. Boy did it! I love the way freesia smell! Hidden behind it amongst the dead twigs and scraggly remains of last summers flowers was a yellow freesia that must have bloomed last week. All of it's scent was gone... but seeing it sparked a thought and I turned around to see if any of the freesia that I had planted in the ground (a dangerous thing to do around here!) had made it also. To my incredible delight I found a whole patch of happy, sweet smelling freesia blooming right under Brock's window. There were so many blooms that I got a biggish vase, filled it with water, grabbed a pair of scissors and went back outside to make myself a bouquet. I didn't even cut all of the blooming freesia! I left a few there to look happy and noticed that there were several more stalks that were just waiting for next week to make their grand entrance. What a happy spring surprise! That will show me not to use my own front door!
Now I have a vase full of sunny golden flowers sitting squarely on my desk, just waiting to cheer me up tomorrow with their beauty and fragrance. Can I just say...Spring-time is the best time around here. IF it could be like this all year, I'd think I lived in heaven.

3 comments:

Joanie said...

*Granny shuffle*! You crack me up! What a happy little bunch of flowers JUST FOR YOU! Beautiful photo by the way.

And you know what? You do live in heaven! It is so beautiful there (even when it is brown)

Sarah E Boucher said...

I have never seen freesia before! Its just delightfully cute! And it does smell delicious!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

So gorgeous! The freesia scent is Brent's favorite so I have bulbs scattered around in parts of the garden where everything else doesn't fare too well. Freesia is a stalwart little plant that always surprises me with its tenacity. Looks like it's surprised you too!

Love,
Cindy